C-182Q N96934 at West Valley Flying Club

Friday, November 17, 2006

Life Story of a Skylane: Chapter One

N96934 is a 1979 Cessna C-182Q, better known as a Skylane. Thanks to the record-keeping system of the FAA, its history is available to the general public. In this post, I will share the early history of the plane.

For information on the model, I credit John Frank of the Cessna Pilots Association. His Cessna 182 Skylane Buyers Guide is a treasure trove of information. The 182 was introduced in 1956. It was based on the 180, a very similar plane first flown in 1952. The 180 was a tailwheel plane, on the 182, Cessna created a nosewheel version. Over the years, Cessna made various changes, but the basic configuration, engine and appearance haven't changed. The 182 has been in continuous production except for a period between 1986 and the late 1990s when Cessna suspended all their single-engine piston production.

The 1979 C-182Q had a manufacturer's suggested price of about $40,000, so I assume that's about what Yakima Executive Aircraft paid for the plane on 6/11/1979. I guess it's an auspicious date, being my parents 25th anniversary and just a few days after I would have graduated from college if I hadn't been on the 4.5 year plan. If Yakima Executive Aircraft still exists, there is no evidence available on the internet. My guess is that they operated some kind of local charter or leasing service.

Yakima Executive sold the plane in January of 1982.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home